Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Grandma's favorite lasagna recipe. This recipe comes from Kaiser Permanente and is a great way to get all the delicious flavors of lasagna while cutting back on some of the fat and calories.
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb 93% lean ground beef, 7% fat
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can italian-style peeled tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 10 ounces lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese or 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 2 egg whites
- 8 ounces lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook the onions, garlic, bell pepperr, and mushrooms until tender in a small amount of water or both. Add the ground meat, salt, and pepper. Cook until meat loses its red color. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add the tomato sauce, canned peeled tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, and basil. Simmer about 1 - 1.5 hours or until sauce has thickened. If sauce becomes too thick while cooking, add water as needed.
- In a large pot, bring 8 quarts of water to a full boil. You do not need to add oil to the boiling water to prevent pasta from sticking together. Add noodles one at a time too boiling water. Stir the noodles occassionally while they cook to prevent sticking. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until al dente (still a bit chewy). Drain, rinse with cold water and separate noodles.
- Combine ricotta cheese, egg whites, parsley, and half of the parmesan cheese in a separate bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13 x 9 x 2 1/2 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon in a thin layer of sauce and cover with a layer of lasagna noodles. Next, place a layer of shredded mozzarella and ricotta-parmesan cheese mixture. Add some sauce. Arrange successive layers in a likewise manner, ending with a layer of noodles. Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan Cheese.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese has melted. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.