Raquel Grinnell's Note:
A hearty and healthy winter soup full of amazing flavor! I adapted this recipe from one on Allrecipes.com to make it easier and quicker to prepare as well as lower in fat and high in lean protein and healthy veggies with cancer-fighting antioxidants such as kale and cabbage. I always make enough to feed an army, but halving is no problem. Kids love it, too.... Enjoy! **CORRECTION: I had changed my original recipe in order that my Atkins-dieting husband could eat the stew, too. The verdict from the kids after making it a few times was a resounding, "Change it back!" It is much simpler, tastier and quicker to make this way.... So here I am, changing it back. I'm sorry, Geema, that you got to the recipe before then. :(
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb turkey kielbasa, cut in half then sliced into 1/2 inch half moon pieces (or other low-fat smoked turkey sausage)
- 1 lb turkey ham, cubed (or other low-fat ham)
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 12 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups instant potato flakes
- 2 lbs kale, rinsed, deveined and chopped
- 4 cups napa cabbage, shredded (one head)
- 4 (15 ounce) cans white kidney beans, drained (cannellini)
- 1In a large stockpot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat, and saute the kielbasa and ham for 5-6 minutes, until browned. Add the onions and saute for a few minutes more, until they are softened. If at any time the pot is looking dry, add a splash of stock to continue the saute.
- 2Next add the stock and the black pepper and bring to a boil.
- 3When boiling, add the potato flakes, stirring until dissolved.
- 4Add the kale and cabbage, then lower the heat to simmer and cover.
- 5Simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the cabbage and kale are tender. Add the drained and rinsed beans, then simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- 6Before serving, taste and add salt as needed. (It shouldn't need any as prepared stock and the smoked meats have plenty, but use your own judgment and add some if you deem it necessary.) Yum!
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Fat Kielbasa, Kale and Cabbage Stew
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 189.2
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 26.6 mg
- Sodium 671.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 11.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth