Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
WHAT a mouthful TITLE is, true! These are SO healthy and delicious too! INSPIRED by the internet and yes, ZAAR! These are terrific, better by far!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable broth
- 1 red onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, diced
- 6 cups kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons hot chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 4 cups mashed sweet potato
- 12 tortillas, warmed
- 8 ounces low-fat cheese
- PREHEAT oven 180°F.
- Cook sweet potato on paper towel in microwave until cooked (depending on size); allow to cool (Rotate cooking time and turn - ie if 8 minutes total; 4 minutes each side).
- HEAT broth in saucepan; sauté onion and garlic until soft; (about 5 minutes).
- STIR in water; bring to a quick boil.
- REMOVE from heat and ADD cumin, mustard, chili powder and tamari.
- COMBINE above mixture with sweet potato (removed from skins) and MASH.
- PLACE one tortilla at a time into microwave and cook for 15 seconds; if cooking in oven, wrap in aluminum foil and place in oven for 10 minutes on 180°F.
- ADD mixture to tortilla and wrap as a burrito; fold bottom half a couple of inches from bottom - fold right hand side over and then rotate towards you and tightly roll up.
- PLACE rolled up tortillas (side down) onto slightly sprayed with oil flat pan.
- TOP with low fat/no fat cheese and BAKE for 12 minutes in 180°F oven.
- These are GREAT to freeze!
- NOTE: Can use 3 cans three bean mix, butter beans or cannelloni beans (420g) drained too!
- NOTE: If you want a bit of a zing, can sprinkle with no-fat Mexican cheese before putting into oven.
These were very, very good. I some how ended up with a lot of leftover filling so I just threw it in the freezer. The only change we will make, when we have it again, is to add more heat to the mixture, as 2 teaspoons just aren't enough for us. Also was thinking about serving them enchilada style with a green chile sauce. However, the original recipe as written was a hit at our house! Thnx for posting, mickeydownunder. Made for Fall 2008 My-3-Chefs.