Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Quick, easy, low-calorie and very low fat. We like filling comfort-style entrees. This is one of my DH's favorites. We love to garden and this recipe grew out of our abundant produce. It uses lots of fresh veggies, and portion sizes are large, so you're eating big as well as eating good. It's also very versatile; add in whatever veggies you have on hand, use any kind of pasta. It's also very good over polenta.
- 1 lb hot Italian turkey sausage link (about 4)
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in chunks
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut in chunks
- 1 large onion, cut in chunks
- 2 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (14 -16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 yellow squash, cut in rounds
- 2 zucchini, cut in rounds
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian spices (a mix of oregano, basil and thyme)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lb penne pasta, cooked
- Place sausage links along with 1/2 cup of water in non-stick dutch oven. Prick skins. Heat to a boil and cook, turning once until sausages are grey and begin to give off liquid.
- Add onion chunks and continue to boil.
- When onion is tender, add mushrooms and peppers.
- Cook until peppers are almost tender; add squash and zucchini.
- Continue to cook at a boil to evaporate liquid.
- When liquid is almost gone, remove sausages, cut each into 4 or 5 chunks, and add back to pot.
- Add tomatoes with their juice, tomato paste and spices. Stir and heat through.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
I made one inadvertant mistake. Just as dinner was ready to serve, Dh had a business call so I let the sauce simmer until he finished. BIG mistake. This sauce just gets watery as it cooks, much better to serve with the timing the recipe calls for. I tasted it when it was ready and it was excellent. I should have eaten alone.
Wow, it's hard to believe there's no oil or butter in this because it was truly scrumptious. I got all my vegetables from the farmers market so it was even better. Thank you.
This was very tasty, and suprisingly easy to make even with all of the vegetables that needed chopping. I like that the vegetables are added to the recipe in steps. I just started chopping, and as one ingredient was added to the pan, I started chopping the next. My turkey sausage links were mild, not hot so I added a pinch of red pepper flakes to the sauce to compensate. I love when healthy tastes this good.