1/1 Photo of Low-Fat Italian Sausage Dinner
Deb Wolf's Note:
Quick, easy, low-calorie and very low fat. We like filling comfort-style entrees. This is one of my DH's favorites. We love to garden and this recipe grew out of our abundant produce. It uses lots of fresh veggies, and portion sizes are large, so you're eating big as well as eating good. It's also very versatile; add in whatever veggies you have on hand, use any kind of pasta. It's also very good over polenta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb hot Italian turkey sausage link (about 4)
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in chunks
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut in chunks
- 1 large onion, cut in chunks
- 2 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (14 -16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 yellow squash, cut in rounds
- 2 zucchini, cut in rounds
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian spices (a mix of oregano, basil and thyme)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb penne pasta, cooked
- 1Place sausage links along with 1/2 cup of water in non-stick dutch oven. Prick skins. Heat to a boil and cook, turning once until sausages are grey and begin to give off liquid.
- 2Add onion chunks and continue to boil.
- 3When onion is tender, add mushrooms and peppers.
- 4Cook until peppers are almost tender; add squash and zucchini.
- 5Continue to cook at a boil to evaporate liquid.
- 6When liquid is almost gone, remove sausages, cut each into 4 or 5 chunks, and add back to pot.
- 7Add tomatoes with their juice, tomato paste and spices. Stir and heat through.
- 8Serve over cooked pasta.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low-Fat Italian Sausage Dinner
Serving Size: 1 (596 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 461.2
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 59.3 mg
- Sodium 1125.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 25.5 g