Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I'm on the Atkins diet, so I follow a lot of low fat/no carb dishes. These are ones I make myself, ... trial and error. This was a success. My family loves this Italian version of a meat loaf that I make with ground turkey. Calories, fat and cholesterol wre reduced by: Using egg whites instead of a whole egg Replacing ground beef with ground turkey breast Using shredded apples to add moisture that is lost by eliminating the beef fat Using a reduced-fat spaghetti sauce. 445 calories per serving before, 227 after.
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and finely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup fine seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2⁄3 cup reduced-fat spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the egg whites, garlic, basil, salt, rosemary and red pepper.
- Then stir in the apples, onions and bread crumbs.
- Add the turkey and mix until well combined.
- Spray a 8x4x2" loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Pat the turkey mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Spread the spaghetti sauce over the top of the turkey.
- Bake about 25 minutes more, or until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the loaf to a serving plate.
- Sprinkle the parmean cheese over the top.
- Slice and serve.
It was great!But I only had ground chicken; threw a slice of whole wheat bread in a food processor- instead of bread crumbs.
It had a great flavor, though it came out a little softer than I liked. Maybe I needed to cook it longer?
I got on to post this exact recipe from a recipe card in my box! It was pretty tasty for ground turkey breast. I didn't have bread crumbs so used some whole wheat bread instead.