Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I started with a recipes from Fat Free Baking & changed it a little. It is good for a breakfast bread, but you need to be careful that it doesn't get dried out.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat milk or 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda& pie spice, mix well.
- Add banana, honey& milk.
- Stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Coat an 8x4 inch loaf pan (double recipe if using a larger pan to avoid a drying out the bread).
- with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the pan.
- Bake@ 325ºF for 45 to 50 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven& let sit for 10 minutes.
- Invert the loaf onto a wire rack, right side up,& cool before slicing& serving.
This recipe was really, really good! YUM! It had an intense banana honey taste with just a hint of malt from the brown sugar. We loved it! As my bananas were really sweet I reduced the honey and sugar quite a bit and that worked out lovely. Although I, too, had to add quite a bit more milk to the dough, my bread was very moist in the end and Ill certainly keep this recipe handy.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing a keeper with us, Lily!
Made and reviewed on recommendation of Sydney Mike and for the fruit event in the photo forum July 2011.
This was nice but I did have to add quite a bit more milk than asked for...I used about 3/4 cup just so I could actually mix it. I used Splenda in place of sugar and self -raising flour so left out the baking agents. It was okay to eat but very dry so I ended up toasting it ans serving with cream cheese. I think this would be better with just a tad bit oil or butter or perhaps even applesauce to give a bit more moistness.
I'm nut usually big on banana bread unless it's dressed up somehow, but I think the use of whole wheat flour & the honey (used a very dark, flavorful one here) has changed my mind ~ Your recipe makes for A GREAT TASTING BREAD, & I really enjoyed the hint of pumpkin from the pie spice! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC tag]