Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A M A Z I N G Honey Cake! Airy, rich and you can't tell it's low fat. A kind of cake that would make the Holiday much happier. Shana Tova!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (30 g)
- 1⁄2 cup natural applesauce, with no added sugar (125 g)
- 3 whole eggs (180 g)
- 3 egg whites (105 g)
- 1 cup honey (170 g)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, stiffed (220 g)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (360 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup almonds (chopped, 50 g)
- 1⁄2 cup coffee (ready to drink)
- 1⁄4 cup almonds (halves, white, for decoration)
- 1 teaspoon oil, to grease pans
- 1 tablespoon flour, to flour pans
- Preheat oven to 355F (180C).
- Beat with mixer: eggs, oil, sugar and apple sauce for 3 minutes.
- In a different bowl, mix well: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Gradually and alternately add flour mixture and coffee to the egg batter - flour added last, until smooth mixture.
- Add chopped almonds and blend into mixture - do not over mix.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured English Cake Baking Pans.
- Decorate with halved almonds.
- Bake in lover section of the oven for 55-65 minutes, until cakes are stable and dry.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Cake is best the day after: you may cover with aluminum foil and keep at room temperature for 3 days.
- You may freeze up to three months.