Recipe by I Can't Believe It's Healthy
Holidays are undoubtedly the most unhealthy times of the year. So why not make them a bit better? Not only do these cookies taste good, they look good, smell good, and most importantly ARE good... for you. Enjoy this yearly classic... just lighter. These are soft, sweet, and delicious. Whats also great about these is the dough doesn't have to be refrigerated! Icing based from AllRecipes.com.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine (I use Light Becel Non-Hydrogenated)
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 3⁄8 teaspoons skim milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla (additional to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons light corn syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat margarine and sugar until well mixed, adding egg white and vanilla as you go.
- Whisk baking powder, flour, tartar, and salt in another bowl. Mix bit-by-bit into egg mixture, not adding any more if the dough is too thick.
- Knead dough 3-5 times on heavily floured surface until smooth and at your desired consistency.
- Roll dough out on the heavily floured surface with a floured rolling pin, and cut shapes out. Place them on a cookie sheet, covered in parchment paper. (Don't sub the parchment paper for oil, butter, or cooking spray. Bottoms will crisp).
- Bake in oven for 7-10 minutes until tops of cookies have firmed, checking every few minutes to make sure they don’t brown (these are best light and soft).
- Take out of oven and place on cooling rack.
- While cooling, mix powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and vanilla until shiny.
- Add food colouring to icing if you wish, and ice the cookies once they have cooled. ENJOY!