I make this each and every time we have bananas that are over-ripe. I toast slices to have along with my coffee for breakfast. I also use toasted slices to make peanut butter sandwiches for the kids' lunches. Who says if it's good for you it can't taste good too? The original recipe, which I have adapted quite a bit, came from Nick Malgieri's book "How to Bake."
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oat flour (you can use a food processor to finely grind rolled oats if needed)
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3-4 bananas)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, set rack at middle. Grease and flour one 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 3/4 - inch loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine both flours and oat bran, baking powder and soda, allspice and cinnamon and stir well to mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg whites, applesauce, oil, vanilla and bananas.
- Fold the flour mix into the wet mixture, be careful not to overmix.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until well risen and a skewer into the thickest part of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack 5 minutes, then unmold and finish cooling.
- Freezes well.
This was good but a little too healthy to satisfy my craving for moist banana bread. I used very ripe bananas but it still had a more subtle banana flavor and was a bit dry.
Delicious, moist & flavorful! My 4 & 1 year olds even loved it! I added 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, 2 tablespoons ground flax seed, and I sprinkled the top with about 1/3 cup chocolate chips. I didn't have oat bran, so I used 1/2 cup quick oats. I will definitely make this one again!
I got a bag full of over ripe bananas from my office. I made 2 batches. Just wonderful! Followed recipe as directed, I will be making this often. Thank you for posting Susie. Made for Potluck Tag.