These muffins are a great low-fat moist muffin. I used 1/2 cup brown sugar instead of the 2/3 cup called for and I felt they were sweet enough. I also added chopped apples.
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran (I used oat bran)
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries (I added a chopped apple.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease muffin cups or use paper muffin liners.
- Mix together wheat bran and milk, and let stand for 10 minutes. (I didn't do this and muffins turned out fine.).
- In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Beat in bran mixture.
- Sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir into bran mixture until just blended. Fold in blueberries.
- Scoop into muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly tapped.