Recipe by Keeferop
This recipe is inspired by a similar version of a recipe from Julie Van Rosendaal's "One Smart Cookie." Perfect with a cup of coffee. Be certain that you like hazelnuts before preparing this recipe; the nutty flavor is distinct!! If you want a stronger coffee flavor, use espresso, otherwise I recommend a strong dark blend
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup coffee
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla
- 1 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the coffee, milk, egg, egg white, and vanilla; Add to the dry ingredients and stir until doughy.
- Fold in the hazelnuts.
- On a floured surface, form TWO logs 8" long and 3" wide.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and place the logs a few inches a part.
- If desired, prepare an egg wash of 3/4 part egg white and 1/4 part water. Brush the logs gently and cover w/ COARSE sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown.
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Cut the logs into .5" thick slices and place cut side up on the cookie sheet.
- Cook for an additional 40 minutes at 275 degrees flipping halfway through.