Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very simple, easy, fast, and low-fat cake with grapes. I had some grapes to use that's why I gave this recipe from the Good Food magazine (September 2005) a try. It's not something I would usually go for as it seemed too simple and too low in fat to be good. However, I was surprised with the result. Yes, it is simple but also tasty. I've even cut myself a second piece, although I've had a delicious two course dinner already. The recipe that appeared in the Good Food magazine is published in Ursula Ferrigno's book called 'La Dolce Vita', too. This cake can also be frozen.
- butter, for greasing
- 1 lb seedless black grapes
- 8 ounces plain flour
- 5 ounces golden caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Heat oven to 180°C / fan 160°C / gas 4. Grease a deep, round 20cm cake tin. Dust the grapes with a little of the flour. Put the remaining flour, sugar and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well with a whisk after each addition, until the mixture is the consistency of batter.
- Add the grapes and olive oil and mix well together. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 1 hr until golden and well risen. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool. If you like, dust the top with icing sugar to serve.
Interesting, not like anthing I have made before. Lacked a bit of taste for us but very pretty and earthy when sliced. I used black grapes right out of the vineyard at Arboras at harvest time.