Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my rendition of gumbo, but without the rue. I and my very manly guy friends still absolutely loved it though. It's very healthy and satisfying. This batch made enough to last me for a week's worth of lunches. With most of the ingredients (mainly veggies) you can add and subtract to your liking.
- 1 tablespoon extra spicy seasoning mix, I ended up adding lots more
- 1 vidalia onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 28 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 1 lb shrimp, and or 1 lb chicken
- garlic powder
- 1 cup okra (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup corn (optional)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (more or less)
- Heat broth and mix hot spices, celery, bell pepper, and garlic till softened.
- Add stewed tomatoes, okra, salt and pepper, and hot sauce - I added more extra spicy mix.
- Let simmer at least 20 minutes.
- Add shrimp onions, corn, and a little garlic powder.
- Can be served over rice.
This was great! Warmed me right up on a chilly day!