Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love hummus and this recipe lets me enjoy it more often without the higher calorie count of some recipes. Serve with warm pita bread and sliced veggies for a nutritious snack.
- 425.24 g can chickpeas (save liquid) or 425.24 g can garbanzo beans, drained (save liquid)
- 1-2 garlic clove, crushed
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml tahini (optional, but if you do not use, increase yogurt by 1 TBLS) or 14.79 ml low-fat peanut butter, if you prefer (optional, but if you do not use, increase yogurt by 1 TBLS)
- 118.29 ml plain yogurt
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 0.25 ml cayenne
- In a food processor combine beans, tahini (if desired), yogurt, garlic, and lemon juice. Blend well. Add salt, cumin and cayenne and blend to a smooth and creamy dip.
- If you hummus is too thick, add a little bit of the liquid from the chickpeas - about a teaspoon at time. Other ways to thin out hummus is by using warm water or olive oil also.
I put some in a Greek pita sandwich. Since joining food.com, I've become exceedingly enthusiastic about Mediterranean lunch folkways, but then my family claims I have a talent for over-reacting.
Went the all yogurt route & added chopped black olives, it is so good that I want to jump in the bowl!!! Fabulous!!!
This was the best hummus recipe I've ever made. It's very creamy and has a milder taste than other hummus recipes that I've tried. I made half the amount 'cause I was finishing up some chickpeas and I only had enough for 1/2 the recipe. I will definitely make the full amount next time. This was excellent!