I love hummus and this recipe lets me enjoy it more often without the higher calorie count of some recipes. Serve with warm pita bread and sliced veggies for a nutritious snack.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (save liquid) or 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained (save liquid)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini (optional, but if you do not use, increase yogurt by 1 TBLS) or 1 tablespoon low-fat peanut butter, if you prefer (optional, but if you do not use, increase yogurt by 1 TBLS)
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne
- In a food processor combine beans, tahini (if desired), yogurt, garlic, and lemon juice. Blend well. Add salt, cumin and cayenne and blend to a smooth and creamy dip.
- If you hummus is too thick, add a little bit of the liquid from the chickpeas - about a teaspoon at time. Other ways to thin out hummus is by using warm water or olive oil also.