Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cranberries, mixed tropical fruit and sliced almonds abound in this low-fat, no added sugar granola recipe. Store granola in individual zip-lock bags for quick on-the-go snacks.
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 (6 ounce) bagtropical dried mixed fruit
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, cinnamon and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, combine honey, egg whites and applesauce.
- Add to oat mixture.
- Loosely pat into large cookie sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes (or longer, if necessary), stirring every 15 minutes.
- Cool granola to room temperature.
- Stir in cranberries, dried mixed fruit and almonds.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Serve with milk or yogurt.
This was different. I actually made it for a friend but decided not to give it to her because of the way it turned out. Even though I followed the recipe it seemed undercooked to me. After I finished putting it all together and let it cool it wasn't crunchy or anything. I may try it again but if I did, I would cook it longer. Thank you.
This is a good substitute for the high granola that you buy. It is not very sweet but maybe sweeten applesauce or a little brown sugar would sweeten if you would like it sweeter. It is extremely easy to make and very cost effective.
I make this granola all the time now and eat it for my breakfast or on plain granola and ice cream. I use pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut, almonds, dried cranberries, raisons and flax seeds. It is so low fat and very good for you. Not too sweet.