Recipe by Abby Girl
This recipe is not terribly sweet and it's low in fat...but high in fiber and Omega 3's. Served with low fat yogurt, this recipe can be very addicting! I took recipes from four different source, changed it to my requirements, and came up with this.
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed meal, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons orange juice or 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup dried fruits
- 1 cup nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, oat bran, flax seed meal, spices in a large bowl.
- Combine the vegetable oil, orange juice in a large measuring cup and pour over the dry mixture. Stir until completely mixed.
- Spread the mixture out on to a large roasting pan (or 2 smaller cookie sheet), spreading evenly. The cookie sheets will toast the
- Preheat oven to 300. Bake in oven for 25 - 35 minutes, stir once or twice, cooking until golden brown.
- Add the dried fruit at the beginning of cooking if a chewier fruit is desired, otherwise, add the fruit and nuts towards the end of the cooking time.
- Serve with low fat yogurt.
- Note: Can use one or more of mixed dried fruit: dried blueberries, dried cranberries, raisins, and chopped dates. Can use one or more of the mixed nuts: pistachios, cashews, peanuts and almonds
- The cooking pans will determine how crisp the final product will turn out, so if spreading the granola out onto 2 or more pans, it will cook faster.