Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is not terribly sweet and it's low in fat...but high in fiber and Omega 3's. Served with low fat yogurt, this recipe can be very addicting! I took recipes from four different source, changed it to my requirements, and came up with this.
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed meal, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons orange juice or 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup dried fruits
- 1 cup nuts
- Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, oat bran, flax seed meal, spices in a large bowl.
- Combine the vegetable oil, orange juice in a large measuring cup and pour over the dry mixture. Stir until completely mixed.
- Spread the mixture out on to a large roasting pan (or 2 smaller cookie sheet), spreading evenly. The cookie sheets will toast the
- Preheat oven to 300. Bake in oven for 25 - 35 minutes, stir once or twice, cooking until golden brown.
- Add the dried fruit at the beginning of cooking if a chewier fruit is desired, otherwise, add the fruit and nuts towards the end of the cooking time.
- Serve with low fat yogurt.
- Note: Can use one or more of mixed dried fruit: dried blueberries, dried cranberries, raisins, and chopped dates. Can use one or more of the mixed nuts: pistachios, cashews, peanuts and almonds
- The cooking pans will determine how crisp the final product will turn out, so if spreading the granola out onto 2 or more pans, it will cook faster.