Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mom makes this to put over low-fat vanilla yogurt and fruit. Very tasty!
Make and share this Low-Fat Granola recipe from Food.com.
- 354.88 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml water
- 19.71 ml vanilla
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1892.72 ml oats
- 473.18 ml walnuts
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Combine sugar and water in a 4 cup microwave safe dish and microwave for 5 minutes or until all sugar is dissolved.
- Add vanilla and salt to sugar mixture.
- Place oats and nuts in extra large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar mixture into the oats and nuts and mix VERY thoroughly.
- Spread on 2 cookie sheets sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Living in northern Michigan, up here it's all about the cherries. The modifications I made to this wonderful recipe do alter it, and to my way of thinking - improve on it. I cut down the sugar by half, added flaked coconut, dried cherries and cut back on the vanilla, adding a couple of drops of Almond extract. Almonds were also used instead of Walnuts. Finally since I never use spray on anything (it gums up my pans), I lined my cookiesheet with parchment paper and put the granola on that. When it's done and cooled, you simply lift the parchment and pour into a container.
I used this on my first attempt at homemade granola and it was a hit! Since then, I'm going to guess that I've made this recipe around ten times. My boyfriend begs for this constantly. He doesn't want Whole Foods bulk bin granola anymore. I've added lots to this recipe, and my favorite things to add are other extracts, such as banana or almond, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, flax seeds, wheat germ, chopped-up dates (for the last five minutes), & any other dried fruits are great with it. I like it in yogurt, he likes it in milk. Thanks so much for creating the breakfast we've eaten so many times!
I was looking for a low fat granola recipe and this is it! I followed the recipe but used 1 cup regular splenda and 1/2 cup brown sugar. The walnuts add the perfect touch. Next time I will add some maple flavoring.