Recipe by Kim A. Heaphy
Anyone who likes gingerbread cookies will like this cake. It is one of my Godson's favourite cakes and it is often a race to see who gets the last piece!
Top Review by Wendy13
We really enjoyed this gingerbread! It was easy to make and I had everything on hand. It was very moist & flavorful. I served it with my grandmother's lemon sauce. I will definately make it again. I think that next time I might add chopped apples for a different taste, but it will definately be used in it original form many times over.
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon (or more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly oil a 1/2 gallon (7 X 11 inch) baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (apple butter, buttermilk, molasses, oil, egg and vanilla).
- In another bowl, stir together dry ingredients (flour, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda and salt), breaking up any lumps of brown sugar with your fingertips.
- Stir dry ingredients into apple butter mixture until well combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared baking dish and smoothing top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or inserted knife comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.