Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Anyone who likes gingerbread cookies will like this cake. It is one of my Godson's favourite cakes and it is often a race to see who gets the last piece!
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon (or more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly oil a 1/2 gallon (7 X 11 inch) baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (apple butter, buttermilk, molasses, oil, egg and vanilla).
- In another bowl, stir together dry ingredients (flour, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda and salt), breaking up any lumps of brown sugar with your fingertips.
- Stir dry ingredients into apple butter mixture until well combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared baking dish and smoothing top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or inserted knife comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
We really enjoyed this gingerbread! It was easy to make and I had everything on hand. It was very moist & flavorful. I served it with my grandmother's lemon sauce. I will definately make it again. I think that next time I might add chopped apples for a different taste, but it will definately be used in it original form many times over.