Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup egg beaters egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup 2% buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- spray two eight inch square pans with cooking spray.
- measure out dry ingredients (NOT including splenda), mix together, and set aside.
- in another bowl, whisk molasses, applesauce, buttermilk, egg substitute, and splenda until smooth.
- gradually fold in all of the dry ingredients into the wet batter.
- batter will be very thick and viscous.
- in a small saucepan, bring the 1/2 cup of water to a boil and add to the batter.
- stir until incorporated.
- batter will obviously have thinned out.
- pour the batter into the two pans, and bake from about 30 to 40 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- DO NOT OVERBAKE.
- invert onto a plate or other surface and cool at least half an hour before cutting.
I made a half of this recipe, as we have such a small family. It was a little bland for my tastes, but very moist and good. I would use more spices next time.