Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Roasting the bananas first is the trick to getting a flavorful, dense and gummy loaf...YUM!
Make and share this Low-Fat Full-Flavor Banana Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 4 large ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 ounces fat free cream cheese, cut into 4 pieces and chilled
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Bake bananas on rimmed baking sheet until skins are completely black, about 20 minutes. (Do not turn off oven.) Cool bananas completely, peel, and mash with potato masher until smooth. Measure 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas and discard any excess.
- Grease a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan. Whisk eggs and vanilla in small bowl. With electric mixer on medium-low speed, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl until combined. Add oil and cream cheese, 1 piece at a time, and mix until only pea-sized pieces of cream cheese remain, about 1 minute. Slowly mix in egg mixture, then add mashed bananas and beat until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out with a few crumbs attached, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack and let cool at least 1 hour. Serve. (Bread can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.).
We didn't see a big difference with roasting the bananas. For us it tasted the same thing as with non-roasting bananas. But the banana bread is very good. Maybe because even if I used 4 bananas, I had less than 1 1/2 cup of mashed bananas. I used just a bit less of sugar. I baked it 60 minutes. It was perfect. Thanks Chef PotPie :) Made for PAC Spring 2012