Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
OHHH my, I made these and they taste so good, You feel like you're cheating. Estimated cost is $8.50 for a months supply. Compare to store bought you will be very surprised at the savings.
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup crispy brown rice cereal
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried unsulfured apricots
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins or 1 1⁄2 cups currants
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat protein powder
- 1⁄2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup brown rice syrup or 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat peanut butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread oats, cereal and sesame seeds in a 13" x 9" nonstick jelly roll pan.
- Bake, stirring occasionally, until oats are toasted, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop apricots (use the food processor); transfer to a large bowl.
- Add raisins, protein powder and wheat germ; toss with hands to mix.
- Lightly coat jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine rice syrup and sugar; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in peanut butter, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Quickly pour syrup over oatmeal mixture and stir well.
- With wet hands or spatula, immediately spread warm mixture into the jelly roll pan, pressing into a thin, even layer.
- (Caution, if you work too slowly, the mixture will harden and be difficult to spread). Chill until firm, at least four hours.
- Cut into 2" x 3" bars.
- Bars can be wrapped individu ally in wax paper or foil, or stored in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers.
- They can be refrigerated for up to four weeks, or frozen for longer storage.