Recipe by blucoat
This is a fast and healthy recipe! Cornmeal adds crunch, and lime and mustard flavour, to these low-fat fish cakes. From the cookbook, "Better Homes and Gardens 3 Steps to Weight Loss: 150 Satisfying Recipes". Serve with Green Goddess sauce or whatever you enjoy. (Recipe makes 3/4 cup sauce.) Nutrition information per serving (includes sauce): 217 calories, 9 grams fat (2 grams saturated), 109 milligrams cholesterol, 20 grams protein, 12 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram dietary fiber and 337 milligrams sodium.
Top Review by Chef Valbowski
I have a recipe like this, almost identical actually, that I found elsewhere online. The green goddess sauce is different on this vs. the one I have used. Will try this one next time out.
These are really good cakes. They even reheat well. I used a lot more seasoning, which is just how I roll, and as a bit of a trick to get it to stay together better, I put the mixture in the freezer to set up better prior to molding and battering the cakes. Holds together without cracking. Works with anything you would fry. Again, very good.
- 12 ounces skinless white fish fillets (such as haddock or cod)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons light mayonnaise or 4 teaspoons salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, snipped
- 1 teaspoon lime peel, finely shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Green Goddess Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup plain nonfat yogurt (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon, snipped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut fish into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine egg, bread crumbs, onion, mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, lime peel, and salt. Add fish; mix well. Form mixture into twelve 1/2-inch-thick patties, about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Coat patties with cornmeal. In a large nonstick skillet or on griddle, heat oil. Add half of the fish cakes. Cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until fish just flakes when tested with a fork and patties are gold. Repeat with the remaining cakes.
- For sauce: Combine yogurt, half of the sour cream and the tarragon in blender and process until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. For each serving, place three fish cakes on a plate along with 2 tablespoons Green Goddess Sauce. Use remaining sauce as a salad dressing.