Recipe by mickeydownunder
These are REALLY GREAT! How I found recipe was again FATE! Simple, easy to do! Modified slightly and you can too!
- 2 eggplants
- 1 onion
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 ounces fat free mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Use 1 tbsp of stock (could be chicken or vegetable) and saute mushrooms, garlic and onion until soft (About 5 minutes).
- In saucepan, add 1 cup cous cous (I LOVE Ainsley's! If need nutrituional breakdown, I can provide) and 1 cup boiling water; let sit for 5 minutes and fluff with fork.
- ADD mushroom mixture to cous cous and add finely diced sundried tomatoes, cayenne pepper if using and fat-free cheese (NOTE: Not tomatoes soaked in oil).
- ADD 2 cups stock and cover for about 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed. (NOTE: Would suggest you stir about every 4 minutes as cheese might cause mixture to stick).
- HEAT GRILLER.
- Slice eggplant lengthwise into 6 slices.
- Place eggplant on al foil lined flat pan, coat both sides lightly with cooking spray, salt and pepper; GRILL 5 minutes each side.
- Place cous cous mixture onto eggplant slice and roll up.
- In baking pan, place 2 cups cups tomato sauce.
- Place eggplant slices seam side down into tomato sauce.
- Cover with al foil and bake 25 minutes.
- Garnish with basil.
- NOTE: Depending on the size of the eggplants, you mat need to adjust the amount of tomato sauce to 3 cups.