Top Review by PaulaG
This is a nice lower fat version. I used frozen peas and carrots and shell pasta. The peas and carrots were added the last couple of minutes that the pasta was cooking. I did end up using additional non-fat milk and grated cheddar cheese. I think next time I might try the part-skim mozzarella. For additional protein a 6 oz can of drained tuna was added.
- 1 cup macaroni (or other small pasta, 1/2 lb.)
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese or 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, freshly-grated
- 1 green onion, chopped
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot of boiling water, cook pasta until tender but firm.
- Meanwhile, steam or boil carrots for 4 minutes.
- Add peas and cook until carrots are tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain and return to pot.
- In small saucepan, heat milk over medium heat, until steaming.
- Whisk in cream cheese until smooth.
- Stir in basil.
- Add to pasta along with vegetables, cheeses and green onions.
- Toss to mix and season with salt and pepper to taste.