Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
These little gems are always the hit wherever I bring them. They are bursting with almond flavor and are wonderful dunked in coffee. They freeze beautifully in an airtight container.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 -3 ounces sliced almonds, lightly toasted and coarsly chopped
- 2 -4 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- Sift together the first 4 ingredients in small bowl.
- Beat together the next 4 ingredients.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and combine on low speed of mixer.
- Add the almonds and chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a spoon, scoop the dough in two lines down the length of the baking sheet (use two if you need to), keeping them about 3 inches apart.
- They'll be about 12"- 14" X 2" strips.
- Bake until firm and barley showing color, about 25-30 minutes.
- Cool on rack 10 minutes.
- Lower oven temperature to 300.
- Take the strips and slice them cross-wise into about 1/2" slices.
- Return to the baking sheet, and standing them upright with some space between them, bake for an additional 30-35 minutes until crisp and very light golden.
- Cool and store in an air tight container.
Yummy! but a bit bland. Good texture otherwise. Could have maybe done with more chocolate chips or none at all.
Love these! They are super crunchy and great for dipping in coffee.
This is so delicious. It tasted much more authentic to not have a lot of almond flavor jumping out. You must cut them thinly, otherwise they don't get crunchy.