Recipe by Wendy
These little gems are always the hit wherever I bring them. They are bursting with almond flavor and are wonderful dunked in coffee. They freeze beautifully in an airtight container.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 -3 ounces sliced almonds, lightly toasted and coarsly chopped
- 2 -4 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together the first 4 ingredients in small bowl.
- Beat together the next 4 ingredients.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and combine on low speed of mixer.
- Add the almonds and chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a spoon, scoop the dough in two lines down the length of the baking sheet (use two if you need to), keeping them about 3 inches apart.
- They'll be about 12"- 14" X 2" strips.
- Bake until firm and barley showing color, about 25-30 minutes.
- Cool on rack 10 minutes.
- Lower oven temperature to 300.
- Take the strips and slice them cross-wise into about 1/2" slices.
- Return to the baking sheet, and standing them upright with some space between them, bake for an additional 30-35 minutes until crisp and very light golden.
- Cool and store in an air tight container.