Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found a recipe online for this soup but made some adjustments so that it was low fat, vegan and so it incorporated two kinds of pumpkin. Don't let the fact that it is low fat put you off, this is flavourful and thick. I love it with toast :)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 500 g butternut pumpkin (peeled weight)
- 500 g kent pumpkin (Peeled weight, can substitute for whatever kind you prefer)
- 1 large potato, peeled, diced
- 750 ml vegetable stock (or vegan chicken-style)
- 1⁄2 cup low fat soymilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornflour
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over low heat, add onion and leek and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened but not coloured.
- Add garlic and spices and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add pumpkin, potato and stock and bring to the boil. Turn heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then blend in batches. Return soup to pan.
- Mix corn flour into milk until combined well.
- Stir through milk mixture and reheat gently. Season with salt and pepper and add a little more nutmeg if desired.