Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A colorful delicious healthy meal that is so easy to make. This is a combination of several great recipes that I have tried. Freeze in 5 cup freezer containers for future easy meals for two. Warning: A large Crock Pot is needed.
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen okra
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 6 large celery ribs, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix (no MSG, reduced salt)
- Stir the envelope of taco seasoning mix with broth in a large 6 quart crock-pot.
- Remove fat from chicken breast and add to crock-pot.
- Cook on high about two hours and shred chicken using two forks.
- Add all other ingredients to crock-pot. Stir.
- Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- Serve over whole grain brown rice (not parboiled).
I love this recipe. It makes about 15 cups and is too much for my 5 qt crockpot. I have also made this on the stove with great success. Sometimes I add a bit more broth. Thanks for sharing.
More of a stew than a soup. Great flavor. Almost didn't fit in my large crock pot.
All three of us (my husband, daughter and myself) really enjoyed this recipe. It made a large amount with plenty of leftovers for additional meals. The only thing I would say is that it is more "stew-y" than "soup-y" because there wasn't a lot of liquid in the pot. This worked to our advantage for one meal -- we used a slotted spoon to serve up the good stuff over tortilla chips like nachos -- topped with some low fat cheese and a dollop of low fat sour cream -- YUM!