Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a super moist carrot cake, that you can put in to the crock pot while you enjoy dinner. It is also a great cake to whip up and bring to a potluck, or just to have for a snack. Plus its low fat!
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box carrot cake mix, do not make as directed on box (I use Betty Crocker Super Moist)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- Preheat crock pot to high.
- Spray with non fat cooking spray.
- In mixing bowl with mixer on medium speed beat the egg whites, sour cream, apple sauce, cinnamon and cake mix together for two minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- With spatula stir into batter the walnuts and carrots until well mixed.
- Pour the prepared batter into the crock pot.
- Place a paper towel on top of the crock pot, and place lid on the paper towel.
- Cook on high for 1 1/2-1 3/4 hr or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the crock from the crock pot. Remove lid and paper towel, and let it cool for 10-15 minute.
- Run a knife around the outside edge of cake to loosen.
- Place a large serving plate upside down on the top of the crock pot. Holding the slow cooker and the plate firmly together, carefully flip the cake upside down. It will be steamy hot so be careful!
- Serve hot or chilled with vanilla ice cream!
I made this cake as written, and cooked it for 1 hr & 30 minutes on high, in my 5-quart round-shaped crock-pot, but I was disappointed as to how it turned out. The cake wasn't moist, and the outside edges were burnt. Perhaps the 1 hr & 30 mins., is too long of a time to cook this cake in ones crock-pot. PDC, I wish I could of given this recipe a better review, but it didn't turn out as I had wished it would have. For those who are thinking about preparing this cake, I suggest you cook this cake less time on high, or on low for a few more hours.