1/1 Photo of Low Fat Creole Style Black Eyed Peas
2 hrs 15 mins
Inspired once again by the internet, true! This IS yummy AND delicious too! Served in a wrap, with rocket, don't forget feta, You'll almost think low fat foods are better :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1HEAT 2 1/2 cups water and dried black-eyed peas; once at FULL BOIL, continue boil for two minutes, REMOVE from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 2Then DRAIN whatever water remains and allow peas to sit uncovered.
- 3In another saucepan, COMBINE 1 cup water, chicken broth, finely diced onion, finely diced celery, parsley and 2 cans (400g)/3 1/2 cups Diced Italian Tomatoes in juice, mustard, chilli pepper, ginger, black pepper and bay leaves; Bring to a BOIL.
- 4ADD cooked black-eyed peas.
- 5COVER and simmer on LOW for 1 hour and 45 minutes; STIR occasionally; If liquid is evaporating too quickly, you can add more water to make sure peas are covered with tomato/water mixture.
- 7NOTE: Is well worth the time to make and freezes WELL!
- 8NOTE: Remove Bay leaves before serving.
- 9NOTE: If canned tomatoes do not contain seasoning such as dry Italian seasoning, would suggest you add about 1 tbsp dry Italian seasoning, but is personal preference.
- 10NOTE: I serve in tortilla wrap with rocket, feta and Golden Door Recipe - Chilli Sauce.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Fat Creole Style Black Eyed Peas
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 59.0
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 279.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 3.2 g