Recipe by mickeydownunder
Inspired once again by the internet, true! This IS yummy AND delicious too! Served in a wrap, with rocket, don't forget feta, You'll almost think low fat foods are better :)
- 2 cups black-eyed peas
- 3 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons low sodium chicken broth
- 3 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 stalks celery
- 1⁄2 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- HEAT 2 1/2 cups water and dried black-eyed peas; once at FULL BOIL, continue boil for two minutes, REMOVE from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Then DRAIN whatever water remains and allow peas to sit uncovered.
- In another saucepan, COMBINE 1 cup water, chicken broth, finely diced onion, finely diced celery, parsley and 2 cans (400g)/3 1/2 cups Diced Italian Tomatoes in juice, mustard, chilli pepper, ginger, black pepper and bay leaves; Bring to a BOIL.
- ADD cooked black-eyed peas.
- COVER and simmer on LOW for 1 hour and 45 minutes; STIR occasionally; If liquid is evaporating too quickly, you can add more water to make sure peas are covered with tomato/water mixture.
- NOTE: Is well worth the time to make and freezes WELL!
- NOTE: Remove Bay leaves before serving.
- NOTE: If canned tomatoes do not contain seasoning such as dry Italian seasoning, would suggest you add about 1 tbsp dry Italian seasoning, but is personal preference.
- NOTE: I serve in tortilla wrap with rocket, feta and Golden Door Recipe - Chilli Sauce.