Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
That's lip-lickin'-mighty-mouse good.
Make and share this Low-Fat Creamy Macaroni & Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 4 ounces reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon light margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon cheese-flavored granule
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter-flavored cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Coat a two-quart casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Drain macaroni, reserving two tablespoons cooking water.
- Toss macaroni with reserved cooking water, cheeses, sour cream, milk, onions, egg white, margarine, cheese-flavored granules, mustard and peppers until well combined.
- Spoon into casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with cracker crumbs and paprika.
- Bake casserole at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake until golden brown an d bubbly, about five minutes.
Very creamy indeed, but also very tasteless. Fortunately I had some cheese flavored sprinkles on hand to make it palatable, all 3 of us at the dinner table felt the same way. Sorry Folks.
I made this last night, I used cheddar cheese and added garlic to mine. The flavor was good, and its nice to have a low fat macaroni and cheese, but the texture of the cottage cheese wasn't my favorite. I think next time I will try it with ricotta like one of the other reviewers, maybe the texture would be a little more creamy? We'll see. Thank you for the recipe!
Dancer you have a winning recipe here! I am always looking for good recipes that are "good for you" and this fits the bill. I, too used cheddar cheese, low fat ricotta cheese and fat free sour cream. The taste is so creamy and the onions give it a little different twist. Thanks, Carole in Orlando