Recipe by Hedda Lettuce in Ontario
The "cream" comes from evaporated milk and blending the soup. Onion and garlic amounts can be varied to taste. Carrot may be added for colour. 1/4 cup of CheezWhiz or 2 oz grated tangy cheddar are also optional. Delicious, and so easy. Freezes well.
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cauliflower, trimmed and coasely chopped (about 1 large head)
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, fine ground
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, melt the butter and add 1/2 cup of the stock.
- Add onions, garlic and nutmeg. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender but not browned, 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the stock and the cauliflower.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until cauliflower is tender.
- Puree until smooth and return to the pot.
- Add evaporated milk, pepper and optional cheese.
- Simmer briefly and ladle into warm bowls. Garnish with parsley or fresh dill or chives if preferred.