Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The millionth variation on a great springtime soup. Easy to prepare, low fat and makes plenty.
Make and share this Low Fat Cream of Asparagus Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 leeks, sliced, white parts only
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large potato, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- bay leaf
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Blanch asparagus for 3 minutes and cool in ice water. Set aside.
- Sautee leeks in butter until soft. Add potato, bay leaf and stock. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes or until potato is just soft. Add asparagus, cook for another 10-15 minutes. Remove bay leaf, puree in blender in 2 cup batches and force through mesh strainer if desired.
- Return soup to heat and gradually add in milk and cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serves 6-8.