Recipe by Kendra*
I have absolutely no idea where this recipe came from. All I know it is GOOD! I usually make it with asparagus, although I've also used broccoli. My DH loves this soup!
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Take one asparagus spear, hold at both ends, and bend it until it breaks.
- Use the broken spear as a guide and cut the remaining spears to approximately the same length, discarding the large ends.
- Slice asparagus spears in 1 inch lengths.
- You should have about 2 cups of asparagus pieces.
- Cook the asparagus pieces in a small amount of boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain well.
- While asparagus cooks, place (unmelted) butter, flour, and garlic into a blender container.
- Top with cooked asparagus, then add all remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour into saucepan and heat gently until soup thickens.
- I like to use thinly sliced green onion tops, low-fat sour cream and a couple of croutons for a garnish.