This is a light version of a favored muffin. Flax seed and apple sauce replace oil and orange juice adds sweetness.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 5 ounces water
- 1 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray twelve medium muffin cups with cooking spray.
- 2Combine dry milk, vinegar and water to make 1 cup of buttermilk.
- 3In a medium bowl combine oats and buttermilk, let stand for 10 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, combine orange juice and dried cranberries in a sauce pan. Stir over medium heat until orange juice is absorbed.
- 5In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients, cranberries and nuts.
- 6Stir egg substitute and applesauce into oat and buttermilk mixture.
- 7Pour oat mixture into dry ingredients, stir until moistened. Fill muffin cups almost full.
- 8Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; remove from pan. Brush tops with orange juice and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Fat Cranberry Orange Oat Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (53 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 95.9
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.5 mg
- Sodium 108.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 3.9 g