Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a light version of a favored muffin. Flax seed and apple sauce replace oil and orange juice adds sweetness.
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 5 ounces water
- 1 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray twelve medium muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Combine dry milk, vinegar and water to make 1 cup of buttermilk.
- In a medium bowl combine oats and buttermilk, let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine orange juice and dried cranberries in a sauce pan. Stir over medium heat until orange juice is absorbed.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients, cranberries and nuts.
- Stir egg substitute and applesauce into oat and buttermilk mixture.
- Pour oat mixture into dry ingredients, stir until moistened. Fill muffin cups almost full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; remove from pan. Brush tops with orange juice and sprinkle with granulated sugar.