Recipe by Dee514
Posted in reply to a message board request for a "low fat" Cran/Orange muffin. This recipe is from "FoodIsLife.com". (I haven't tried this recipe yet).
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup barley flour
- 2⁄3-3⁄4 cup fruit dried sweetened cranberries (Taste cranberries to determine sweetness and then adjust recipe to use either the rice syrup OR wate)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup pecans
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 grated orange, rind of
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed is best)
- 1⁄2 cup rice syrup or 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix dry ingredients (including orange rind).
- Add wet ingredients and mix until just mixed.
- Lightly oil a muffin tin, fill and bake for 20-25 minutes or until just lightly browned around the edges.
- Allow to cool before removing from tin.
- Note: When muffins are cool, put away in plastic bags.
- Unlike other muffins they will stay better this way.
- Due to the low fat content they will dry out quickly, this way they will stay moist and yummy.
- VARIATIONS: Make a higher fat muffin by replacing the apple sauce with canola oil.
- Use other dried fruits like apricots, figs, prunes or dates.
- Use fresh or frozen raspberries instead of cranberries.
- Use 2 cups whole wheat or spelt flour for a heartier muffin.