Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious cornbread that won't clog your arteries. I've adopted this recipe as it didn't have a loving owner. I have made it myself and you can read my comments in my review! I have updated the cooking time and added optional ingredients.
- 236.59 ml flour
- 236.59 ml cornmeal
- 59.14 ml sugar (more or less to taste)
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 eggs, beaten (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
- 118.29 ml whole kernel corn, drained (optional)
- 118.29 ml jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Stir in yogurt and eggs. If using stir in corn and jalapeno peppers.
- Pour into 8 inch square pan sprayed with cooking spray (or use a cast iron skillet).
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Best served warm.
This was pretty darn good, and I was happy it didn't require a lot of ingredients. I made it because my husband requested cornbread and I didn't have my usual mix, but I did have a bunch of cornmeal on hand (no idea how old it is, but it seemed to be okay). I didn't add the corn or the jalapenos - didn't want to freak out my husband, plus I was serving it with jambalaya which is spicy enough. I ended up adding about 3 tablespoons or so of skim milk because my batter was REALLY thick. I cut the sugar to 3 tsp. I baked mine in a loaf pan for about 40 minutes or so, and it turned out pretty darn good, although not as crumby as the cornbread I get from a package. Nonetheless, the husband was happy! Thanks for the recipe.
Best low fat cornbread yet! I also used less than 1/2 whole wheat flour, and 1/4 c unsweetened applesauce in place of part of the yogurt. You'd never know it was low fat.
Seriously good cornbread that is a bit chewy in a good way. Definitely keeping this for future. I found this recipe by circumstance -- didn't have any of the usual buttermilk so googled for a recipe that didn't require it. <br/><br/>I made mine with a high quality cornmeal and I used greek-style plain nonfat yogurt because that was what I had in my fridge. I used a bit of honey instead of 1/4 c sugar. (Did not have kernel corn or jalapeños but will try those in the future.)