Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a recipe I've been making for some time and am just now getting around to posting. It is from The Best Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, RD. It is so nice to be able to enjoy crunchy healthy coleslaw without worrying about all the mayo in it! I sometimes sub a bit of plain fat free yogurt for some portion of the mayo; it all really depends on your tastes. According to the book each serving is 2/3 c. Cook time does not include chill time.
- 6 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 bell pepper, cut into small dice (I like red!)
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free mayonnaise (or reduced fat)
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard (dijon or regular yellow)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the cabbage, carrot, and bell pepper in a large bowl and toss.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and stir to mix.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to mix well.
- Cover the salad and chill at least 4 hours before serving.
Family loves this cole slaw - including my husband and daughter who usually don't like slaw! Thanks for posting their recipe = and especially one that doesn't have dairy for allergic family members!
I enjoy trying different slaws and this one was a success. I liked the crunchiness & pretty colors. The red pepper was striking & the yellow mustard gave it a faint yellow hue. My cabbage was blah & pale so the color was welcome. I liked that this stayed creamy and was low fat! I thought it needed some little something to finish perking the flavor, but that honestly could have been that blah cabbage I used. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Great starter recipe. Used low fat mayo instead and yellow mustard. Added about 5 drops of hot sauce to add a kick to go with the sweetness. Chopped up raw almonds and mandarin oranges mixed those in. Found left over asparagus in the fridge do I chopped that up as well. Very colorful and nutritious. Taste great. Hopefully the kids will eat it. (Fingers crossed)