Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Low fat pound cake?! Yes!! This recipe comes from The Best Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking. I took it to a party last night, and it was absolutely devoured. It is great for those who crave the texture/flavor of pound cake but NOT the pounds!
- 1 (18 ounce) box butter recipe cake mix (reduced fat if you can find it)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin orange sections, undrained
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar (optional)
- Place the cake mix and pudding mix in a large bowl and stir well.
- Add the mandarin oranges in their liquid and the egg substitute. Beat for about 2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and the oranges are pureed.
- Spray a 12-cup bundt pan well and spread batter evenly. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top springs back when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in the pan for 45 minutes, then invert onto a platter. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top, if desired.
I don't think I would call this a citrus pound cake but I would call it light, fluffy and delicious. This might be my new favorite low fat cake. The only change I made was to use 3 eggs instead. For more citrus I would add some lemon zest.
Great cake. A hit with the adults working at VBS. Used sugar-free, fat-free lemon pudding cause I don't need any extra sugar. Nice texture and flavor. Not too tart but just right citrus flavor. Next time I think I'll have some whipped topping to top each slice.
There was absolutely no way I was gonna get through making this cake without some zest, so, although I did follow the recipe, I also included a teaspoon each of minced orange AND lemon zest to the batter, & It was absolutely delicious! I realize that not everyone cares for an intensified citrus flavor OR for the tartness of more lemon, but it worked for the 2 of us, & I'll be making this one again, for sure! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]