Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs
It's been generations and generations that prepared this traditional Shabbat dish... Since Jews came back to the Holly Land it's been upgraded and local flavors and colors took charge. We call it Tshulnt. Here's an easy full of taste Low Fat recipe for a great Chamin / Tshulnt (Cholent).
- 450 g pearl barley, well rinsed
- 450 g white beans, soaked in clean water the night before
- 1350 g lean beef eye round, 1/8-inch fat
- 450 g onions, whole (about 4 medium)
- 850 g potatoes
- 4 medium potatoes, whole
- 150 g sweet potatoes, whole (1 large)
- 1 whole head of garlic (entire bulb)
- 4 whole eggs (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons sweet paprika (full Tbs)
- 6 tea bags, just like this... (tea makes it all nicely brown!)
- boiled water
- Here it goes -- :.
- Heat pot on the stove - and place meat to fry and seal. Turn the meat to seal it all over. Use a large pot, suitable for the oven as well (I use oval).
- Pour boiled water to half the height of the meat.
- Place the soaked rinsed beans on one side of the pot -.
- Place potatoes on the other side.
- Insert barley into cooking bag (preferable made of cloth).
- On top of beans and potatoes, arrange meat, onions, garlic, cooking bag with barley and the sweet potato - try to even out the height. If you want eggs, this is the time to insert them as well.
- I usually add Kosher Kishka (stuffed darma, has less than 30% fat)- I couldn't add it to the ingredients as the program cannot recognize this food -- -).
- Dilute honey with some warm tab water - and pour all over.
- Dilute salt with some warm tab water - and pour all over.
- Dilute the sweet paprika with some warm tab water - and pour all over.
- Add boiled water to cover it all, make sure it's at least one inch above ingredients.
- Scatter tea bags. (See picture for the prepared pot.).
- Preheat oven to 250 F (120 C).
- Bring to boil on stove.
- Reduce heat and allow cooking with gentle boil for at least two hours.
- Move the pot to the oven.
- Make sure to check on the Chamin and add water if necessary. The water reduces but it mustn't get dry.
- At night, reduce oven's heat to 215 F (100 C).
- Check first thing in the morning!
- See if you need to add some water and reduce or increase oven's heat.
- The smell already drives everybody nuts -- soon, soon - we'll all sit and enjoy a great Chamin.
- Serving:: When you open the pot, everything is arranged in the same order you put it inches Take out cooking bag with barley, open it carefully and pour barley into a serving bowl. Add some of the Chamin's liquids onto barley. Put garlic aside - some like it some don't. Take out each ingredient to a different serving dish or bowl, and pour Chamin's liquids. You'll have several dishes and bowl on the table: meat, beans, barley, potatoes, sweet potato, onion, kishke, (eggs) -- See pictures.
I added 1 lb large dried lima beans, soaked with the white beans, and this turned out great. Thanks for posting.