1/4 Photos of Low Fat Cholent: Israeli Chaminc Israeli Chamin (Kosher-Meat)
12 hrs 20 mins
Smadar's Sane Way Cc's Note:
It's been generations and generations that prepared this traditional Shabbat dish... Since Jews came back to the Holly Land it's been upgraded and local flavors and colors took charge. We call it Tshulnt. Here's an easy full of taste Low Fat recipe for a great Chamin / Tshulnt (Cholent).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 450 g pearl barley, well rinsed
- 450 g white beans, soaked in clean water the night before
- 1350 g lean beef eye round, 1/8-inch fat
- 450 g onions, whole (about 4 medium)
- 850 g potatoes
- 4 medium potatoes, whole
- 150 g sweet potatoes, whole (1 large)
- 1 whole head of garlic (entire bulb)
- 4 whole eggs (optional)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons sweet paprika (full Tbs)
- 6 tea bags, just like this... (tea makes it all nicely brown!)
- boiled water
- 1Here it goes -- :.
- 2Heat pot on the stove - and place meat to fry and seal. Turn the meat to seal it all over. Use a large pot, suitable for the oven as well (I use oval).
- 3Pour boiled water to half the height of the meat.
- 4Place the soaked rinsed beans on one side of the pot -.
- 5Place potatoes on the other side.
- 6Insert barley into cooking bag (preferable made of cloth).
- 7On top of beans and potatoes, arrange meat, onions, garlic, cooking bag with barley and the sweet potato - try to even out the height. If you want eggs, this is the time to insert them as well.
- 8I usually add Kosher Kishka (stuffed darma, has less than 30% fat)- I couldn't add it to the ingredients as the program cannot recognize this food -- -).
- 9Dilute honey with some warm tab water - and pour all over.
- 10Dilute salt with some warm tab water - and pour all over.
- 11Dilute the sweet paprika with some warm tab water - and pour all over.
- 12Add boiled water to cover it all, make sure it's at least one inch above ingredients.
- 13Scatter tea bags. (See picture for the prepared pot.).
- 14Preheat oven to 250 F (120 C).
- 15Bring to boil on stove.
- 16Reduce heat and allow cooking with gentle boil for at least two hours.
- 17Move the pot to the oven.
- 18Make sure to check on the Chamin and add water if necessary. The water reduces but it mustn't get dry.
- 19At night, reduce oven's heat to 215 F (100 C).
- 20Check first thing in the morning!
- 21See if you need to add some water and reduce or increase oven's heat.
- 22The smell already drives everybody nuts -- soon, soon - we'll all sit and enjoy a great Chamin.
- 23Serving:: When you open the pot, everything is arranged in the same order you put it inches Take out cooking bag with barley, open it carefully and pour barley into a serving bowl. Add some of the Chamin's liquids onto barley. Put garlic aside - some like it some don't. Take out each ingredient to a different serving dish or bowl, and pour Chamin's liquids. You'll have several dishes and bowl on the table: meat, beans, barley, potatoes, sweet potato, onion, kishke, (eggs) -- See pictures.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Fat Cholent: Israeli Chaminc Israeli Chamin (Kosher-Meat)
Serving Size: 1 (498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 781.0
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 91.1 mg
- Sodium 125.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 123.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.2 g
- Sugars 23.1 g
- Protein 52.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: