Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This dessert makes a beautiful presentation, yet is low-fat and kind to your diet. You'll want to make the meringue shell (also known as Pavlova) early in the day, or even a day ahead. If you've never made a meringue shell and want a quick alternative, you can substitute a prepared Reduced-Fat Graham Cracker Crust. This recipe was created for the ZWT3 "Lighten Up" challenge in June 2007.
- 3 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces Cool Whip Free
- 1 (4 ounce) package fat free sugar-free instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
- 8 ounces skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup Hersheys Chocolate Syrup
- MERINGUE SHELL: Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a mixer bowl, whisk egg whites and cream of tarter until soft peaks form.
- While using a mixer at med-high speed, add sugar, 1 T. at a time until all sugar is incorporated.
- Add vanilla and continue to beat at high speed until mixture stands in stiff, glossy peaks.
- Spoon mixture onto parchment paper or non-stick foil, making a 9" circle that is mounded up at the outside edge.
- Bake 250 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Then turn oven off and allow it to stay inside the oven another hour (or overnight) to cool completely.
- FILLING: Whisk chocolate syrup into milk, then blend the milk mixture into the pudding. Whisk only about one minute; allow pudding to sit 5 minutes to thicken.
- Mound thickened filling into cooled Pavlova shell; refrigerate 4 hours or until filling has set. If desired, garnish with chocolate curls to serve.