Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from a free cookbook I got a Wal Mart. The recipe originally comes from the Canyon Health Resort.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk or 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup pureed prune baby food (2 small jars)
- 1⁄2 ounce semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon non-fat fudge sauce
- powdered sugar (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- Spray a 10" cake pan with vegetable spray and lightly dust with flour.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the applesauce, milk, vanilla, mint, coffee, prunes and chocolate.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites in a small non plastic bowl till stiff.
- Fold in the cake batter.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, till knife comes out clean when tested.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool.
- When it is cooled off spread the nonfat chocolate sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar right before serving.
- The easiest way to cut this cake is to cut into 12 equal servings is to first cut into quarters, then cut each quarter into 3 equal wedges.
I liked this a lot- but no one i served it to seemed to care for it much. They said it tasted like a diet recipe. I'll make it again for myself, though! I used unsweetened vanilla almond breeze instead of milk and threw in some dark chocolate chunks.