Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This lowfat chocolate cake owes its moist texture and great flavor to nonfat buttermilk and prune babyfood.. Who knew lowfat could taste this good?
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup prune puree or 3⁄4 cup prune baby food
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry jam
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray two 9-inch cake pans with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, prune puree or babyfood, egg whites and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until top is springy and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pans on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Turn cakes out onto racks and cool completely.
- Slice the rounded top off of one of the cakes to create a flat surface.
- Spread the flat surface with the raspberry jam.
- Place the other cake on top.
- Sift confectioners sugar liberally over the top.
I made this cake for my parents birthday- and from the start it didn't look right. The batter was almost as thick as play-do when I was done mixing in all the ingredients (I tried not to over mix it), and although I only cooked it for 18 minutes (one layer at a time), I think it came out overcooked. We waited a day to eat it, so that may have affected the taste, but it was dry, and like eating flavored cardboard. I will try this recipe again, but will probably substitute in applesauce for added moisture. I did substitute all the sugar for splenda-I will not do that again!
If you're on low fat and love chocolate you've got to try this! Changes were using Splenda for baking, no sugar added jam, and no XXX sugar. Baked in a 9x13 for 30 min. Served with Health Choice No Sugar Added ice cream. KEEPER!!! Thank you.