Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I liked this muffin because of the subtle taste of the orange peel and I like biting into the chocolate chips. The only complaint is that the muffins seem to come out a little dry since you using applesauce instead of oil but it is tasty to bite into those chocolate chips.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons orange rind, finely shredded
- 2 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray six large 3" muffin cups with no-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, baking powder and orange peel.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Stir in the buttermilk and applesauce.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins in the muffin cups for 5 minutes.
- Then remove the muffins and cool on a wire rack.