Recipe by Vittoria2008
Chocolate....cake....and low fat? What's not to love?
Top Review by DuChick
What a nice suprise to have such a rich, moist cake be low fat! I served this as our birthday cake to Jesus on Dec. 24, but made the mistake of covering it with a too-sweet frosting. Powdered sugar is all that's needed! I cut the sugar to 1/4 cup and used another 1/4 cup Splenda which made it plenty sweet. I also only had dark cocoa rather than regular, and used canola oil. We will enjoy this many times. Thanks Vittoria!
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cold brewed coffee or 1⁄2 cup espresso
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, and set aside.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients, except the cider vinegar.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and whisk well to combine.
- Drizzle the cider vinegar over the top of the batter and whisk quickly to incorporate.
- Pour batter into greased 9inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- *Note: Double the recipe to make a two layer 9-inch cake or 9x13-inch cake.