Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Chocolate....cake....and low fat? What's not to love?
Make and share this Low-Fat Chocolate Cake recipe from Food.com.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, and set aside.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients, except the cider vinegar.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and whisk well to combine.
- Drizzle the cider vinegar over the top of the batter and whisk quickly to incorporate.
- Pour batter into greased 9inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- *Note: Double the recipe to make a two layer 9-inch cake or 9x13-inch cake.
What a nice suprise to have such a rich, moist cake be low fat! I served this as our birthday cake to Jesus on Dec. 24, but made the mistake of covering it with a too-sweet frosting. Powdered sugar is all that's needed! I cut the sugar to 1/4 cup and used another 1/4 cup Splenda which made it plenty sweet. I also only had dark cocoa rather than regular, and used canola oil. We will enjoy this many times. Thanks Vittoria!
Fabulous cake! It is tremendously moist but holds its own when you slice it! I love that it makes one 9-inch cake layer so you don't have to worry about the temptation of leftovers. I cut down the sugar to 3/4 cups but everything else remained the same. I was able to get 8 slices out of this cake easily - so you may want to adjust the servings so the caloric intake relates better. Dusted with confectioner's sugar - perfect ending to our meal tonight. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup game. Thanks for sharing!
This cake is our family's favorite chocolate cake, regardless of the low-fat. We usually just top it with pureed and lightly sweetened raspberries. I use 1 Tbsp. of coconut oil and 2 Tbsp. of raspberry kefir in place of the 3 Tbsp. of safflower oil - each piece still comes out less than 2 grams of fat. I also use regular white distilled vinegar because my daughter cannot have the apple cider vinegar. This is the most rich, moist cake I've made - and we can eat it without guilt. SSOOO good and so easy to make! I've been asked for the recipe many times and make it about once a month. Thank you, Vittoria2008 for this amazing recipe!