Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
My love for frosting (and cakes) and my current quest to get fit just weren't getting along! I developed this frosting so that I could still have a treat - and not feel (too) guilty! :)
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat cream cheese or 1⁄4 cup fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon instant coffee, granuals (optional)
- Combine coffee granuals with the milk, swish/stir to dissolve, set aside. (coffee optional).
- Cream butter and cream cheese at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and salt, beat well.
- Gradually add cocoa powder, sugar and milk, beating at low speed. Increase to high and beat until well blended and easy to spread. You may need to add a bit more milk if the consistency is too think.
I could eat this as a dessert all by itself! Went wonderfully on Mom's Chocolate Cupcakes, made for a very decadent, not super sweet dessert. I found the icing a little runny, but it firmed up to my liking after adding another half cup of icing sugar and letting it firm up in the fridge for half an hour. Definitely a keeper!