Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe was passed on to me and it a delicious low fat cake. Each slice only yields 1.7g fat. Great for when that sweet urge hits.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 2 grated oranges, rind of
- Preheat oven to 180deg C.
- Beat egg whites and sugar together for 1 minute.
- Stir baking soda into apple sauce (it will bubble slightly) and then add to bowl.
- Gently fold in flour, rind and choc chips alternately with orange juice.
- Pour into prepared loaf tin.
- Bake 30- 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Good recipe. Very nice orange taste, and not overly sweet. I didn't know whether to beat the egg whites by hand or with an electric mixer, but I opted for the latter. Since it was called a cake and didn't seem like a typical quick bread, I decided to bake it in a 8 x 8 inch baking pan rather than in a loaf pan. I think this was a mistake on my part, since it was very dense and would have been better as a loaf. I topped it with a thin glaze made of icing sugar and orange juice. Thanks for a good low-fat treat!
This was delicious! The melted, runny choc chips through the cake were fantastic. Because another review said it was a little dry I added a few drops of milk, and also some Orange Essence to bring out the orange flavour a bit more. YUM!
This is a great cake, but it was a little dry. To soften it up I put some ice cream and low fat chocolate sauce on it when I served it to my friends.