Recipe by Sueie
This recipe was passed on to me and it a delicious low fat cake. Each slice only yields 1.7g fat. Great for when that sweet urge hits.
Top Review by cpenner
Good recipe. Very nice orange taste, and not overly sweet. I didn't know whether to beat the egg whites by hand or with an electric mixer, but I opted for the latter. Since it was called a cake and didn't seem like a typical quick bread, I decided to bake it in a 8 x 8 inch baking pan rather than in a loaf pan. I think this was a mistake on my part, since it was very dense and would have been better as a loaf. I topped it with a thin glaze made of icing sugar and orange juice. Thanks for a good low-fat treat!
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 2 grated oranges, rind of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180deg C.
- Beat egg whites and sugar together for 1 minute.
- Stir baking soda into apple sauce (it will bubble slightly) and then add to bowl.
- Gently fold in flour, rind and choc chips alternately with orange juice.
- Pour into prepared loaf tin.
- Bake 30- 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.