Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Inspired by #150747. A special thanks to my awesome friend Heidi of Hughendon Qld for the memories of making these enmasse for sale! I use Vanilla home-brand low-fat yoghurt. This was a recipe we commercially with success. It does not produce a high topped muffin, but is decadently rich and flavoursome. Read through to see alternative to berries. Made 72 large (Texas) muffins, (6 x 12 trays which was one batch for me) which freeze beautifully when individually wrapped. Awesome for a daily treat for lunches, and fatally attractive when warmed in microwave...
- 6 cups caster sugar
- 4 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 cups low-fat yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 cups canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups coconut, dessiccated
FILLING AND TOPPING
- 200 g strawberry jam (1/4 tsp per muffin)
- 1 kg frozen unsweetened mixed berries, thawed and drained on paper (optional but tasty. If leaving out, add another cup of coconut to the muffin mix)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (I had gas commercial so you may need to adjust).
- In large bowl combine dry mix thoroughly.
- In another large bowl combine wet mix thoroughly.
- Combine wet mix into dry with smooth strokes until just combined. Do not beat! It's ok if you can still see a lump or dustings of flour and sugar.
- Using 2/3 batter, divide among muffin cups.
- Place 1/4 teas jam into centre of each.
- Top with divided remaining batter. Muffins should be about 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle berries evenly among muffins.
- Bake 20 to 25 mins until touch-done.